Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Work with TF.exe from Visual Studio Package Manager Console

I work with Team Foundation Server and I have found sometimes it takes lots of mousing [I mean mouse movements] to accomplish a certain task.  While if you don’t know then all the commands that are available to us from Visual Studio are also available from the command line.  Oh! wait it is the Visual Studio command prompt. So there is just one thing you will have to do in order to make TF.exe available from almost everywhere.  Add the following path to your system environment variable and TF.exe will be now accessible from the command prompt. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE

[This is the path for Visual Studio 2013 installed on my machine. If you are using VS2012 then change 12.0 to 11.0 version]

After this you can just do like this Win + R + cmd and Enter.  Then just type TF /?

image

Since this is available from normal command prompt what would prevent us from opening PowerShell and try there. 

image

Oh! It works there.  Btw this was my favorite approach to work with Team Foundation Server until I thought what if this would work from Visual Studio Package Manager Console which is using PowerShell. 

image

Awesome. So why I like this approach? If I am working on something in regular PowerShell and to find pending changes I have to navigate to my working directory to do tf status.  But with Package Manager Console I can just do tf status and it gives me pending changes for just that project and that particular branch that I am in.  Try doing pwd it will give the current location of your project.  And since docking in VS is supported for all the windows I just dock Package Manager Console to another monitor.

I use regular PowerShell and Package Manager Console for committing changes to TFS interchangeably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment