Monday, June 18, 2018

A7–Building App using Angular and ASP.NET Core 2.1–Bootstrap 4, SASS, Cleanup

This post is a part of a series of posts that I am writing as I am building an app using Angular and ASP.NET Core 2.1. Links to previous posts –> A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, Github Repo

On training side, I finished watching Beginner Path for Angular on Pluralsight. I learnt some nice things about Angular CLI. I didn’t knew that Angular app can be created using SASS, CSS or LESS as default way of creating style files. Dry run option is awesome. I always liked how PowerShell had –WhatIf flag and every CLI should have these types of commands.

Let’s cover all the things I was able to accomplish today.

1. Refactored app.module.ts file to make it leaner. I moved all product related components, routes and services into product module. In the image below, on the left everything in red was moved into product module.

image

2. Set the default style extension to be SASS and renamed all .css files to .sass. Right now I didn’t not create any styles into any sass file. Ahem, have to learn first right. Actually, I heard it is not very different than .less so will see how sass is. I had to delete navmenu component styles that were created by default template.

image

3. While I have worked with Bootstrap 3 a lot, I wanted to learn Bootstrap 4 in this project so I updated to Bootstrap 4. When you install Bootstrap 4 in an angular project, npm doesn’t install jquery, popper.js libraries so, I had to install those. I had to fix styling for home page and navigation to use Bootstrap 4.

image

4. Other visual and layout changes includes moving nav menu to top, moving home page content to about page, adding products to home page for people to view products on sale.

image

You can see home page with product cards. The UI is all messed up right now. There are many changes need to be made to how cards are displayed. The bottom card is completely hideous—taking up whole page.

image

5. Bug fix. In product.service.ts there was bug found in the handleError function which was returning default type. It should have thrown error. This prevented server side validation error from being displayed to our user.

image

So that’s all for today. The app is completely garbage right now but I am making progress. My next goals are as follows:

1. Make home page UI responsive, add style for product cards, make navigation menu responsive and add more data to display cards appropriately.

2. Add product description and other product related meta data, display that data accordingly on home page, add more complex data validation—using dates and dropdown.

See ya next time.